Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Workadaydream

Since there's no help, come, let us pay the rent
and bury busy noses in our bills;
sign every check till all the money's spent,
forestall a month or so these mortal ills.

Let neither art nor poetry intrude
to draw attention off important stuff;
there's gas to buy, and medicines, and food,
for which these wages scarcely seem enough.

Now, when all the weeks and days and hours
that make a life are lived but to be sold,
each youthful dream a seed that never flowers,
and possible paths barred by gates of gold--

you might yet turn your pockets out, and find
ahead the roads you thought you'd left behind.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Inspired by, and with apologies to, my favorite sonnet by Michael Drayton.

ThatGreenyFlower said...

Well, I get yours but I don't get his. Possibly because I'm too busy paying bills and working.

Aargh. Usually my brain wants to explode by Friday, but it's early this week. I need a drink and a vacation.

Scott said...

Drayton's poem is one of the best "bad break-up" poems in English. I love to recite it in a pissed off, exasperated tone; that makes it work doubly well. Too bad he wusses out at the end.

Ask me to perform it next time we meet. I gots it mesmerized.

As for drinks and vacations, didn't we talk about Wednesday evening potables and UFO sightings at one point? We should pursue that avenue of investigation. I'll be Mulder, you be Scully.

ThatGreenyFlower said...

Don't know if you knew this, Sonnet Man, but I AM Scully. At least, I was, back in 2000 when I was wearing this really great black interview suit that I had to wear at that time. Several people remarked upon it, and don't think for a moment that I wasn't flattered out of my MIND.

Ok, yes, Wednesday potables. UFO sightings. I'm on...maybe this coming week? I'm trying to get over the ague this weekend and hope to be back in action soon...