Monday, August 11, 2008

The Agony of Defeat

So last night I was watching the Olympics before I went to bed (as all good patriotic Americans should do), and saw Katie Hoff edged out for gold in the 400m freestyle by SEVEN HUNDREDTHS OF A SECOND. Yee-owch. I mean, silver is great too, but that margin of victory is just STUPID. Basically the winner had slightly longer fingernails than the loser, when it comes down to that. Harsh.

Then in the very next race, the men's 4x100 freestyle relay, the US team won the gold by EIGHT hundredths of a second. Talk about parity in the field.

You know, I often think that getting rejected by a magazine I thought I should be able to break into was soul-crushing, but put in this perspective...not as much.

4 comments:

John Hornor said...

I think my emails are getting blocked. You drop one f-bomb and suddenly, you're a spammer and they want to do a cavity search.

John Hornor said...

Oh, and yes we're on. The Afterthought or Rumba? You chose.

Adam Thornton said...

Maybe you just missed acceptance in the magazine by one NINE HUNDREDTHS of a second? That's almost like getting in!

Scott said...

Maybe you're right, Muffy! If only I'd licked that stamp a little faster! ;)