Monday, August 6, 2007

So here's the story...

From April 24, 2006 to April 23, 2007, I wrote 365 sonnets and posted them on my blog The Sonnet Project. It was a massive undertaking with mixed results, but at the end of it all I decided I wanted to keep writing poetry, something I hadn't done with any seriousness since high school. Having mastered, nay, even REDEFINED the sonnet form for a new generation*, I decided to try my hand at other poetic genres--blank verse, limericks, villanelles, and even the dreaded (by me) free verse. I wrote some and posted to the Sonnet Project, and my few readers seemed to like it all right.

But posting non-sonnet posts on the Sonnet Project bugged me for OCD-related reasons, so I decided I need a new blog for such stuff, not only to help in organization but to maintain the integrity of the Sonnet Project as a 365-day record of my journey through that form. (Pretentious enough yet?) And blogs being cheap, hence Defined By Negatives, aka The Further Adventures of Sonnet Boy.

In the next few posts I'll be moving the non-sonnet poetry over from the Project. As time goes on I'll probably also blog in a more traditional way if I find something to say or have some news to share, but mostly this will be a writing blog, a revising blog, a poetry and flash-fiction blog. Until I decide to do another volume of Sonnets, this will be the place.

So there you go. Welcome. Caveat Lector.




*Bwahahaha.

No comments: